#navbar-iframe { display: none !important; }

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Maria Kirilenko queen of tennis fashion

2010 French Open - Day Eight

Maria Kirilenko of Russia looks on during the women's singles fourth round match between Francesca Schiavone of Italy and Maria Kirilenko of Russia on day eight of the French Open at Roland Garros on May 30, 2010 in Paris, France. (Getty Images)more pics »
Maria Kirilenko was interviewed and she talks about why she had to leave home at 13, fashion, tennis and more... Check it out...

Maria Kirilenko

You were 16 when you first began touring the world. How difficult was that?
It wasn’t difficult because I left my home in Moscow when I was 13. It took so long to get to the Dinamo tennis club every day so I moved to Ukraine to train and then after a couple of years to Croatia. I went home to see my parents now and again but if I spent too long there I got bored and didn’t know what to do.

You have been on the tour for six years now. What is your favourite destination?
California. I used to love the tournament in San Diego but that is no longer on the calendar. I’m looking forward to the next big tournament on the schedule, the Indian Wells event near Palm Springs. As for not liking places, a couple of years ago I had to play a tournament in Kolkata and I wasn’t looking forward to going there. I’d played in India very early in my career and the memories weren’t good but I ended up winning the title.

Many Russian players seem tireless. Why is that?
When I was young I remember our top player was Yevgeny Kafelnikov and he would play every week, singles and doubles. If he didn’t do that I think he felt he wasn’t working hard enough. I suppose our mentality is that if we are healthy then it’s right to go to work.


Jennifer Capriati (Getty Images)
Who were your tennis idols?
On the men’s side, for all of us in Russia it was Kafelnikov. In the women’s game, I always admired Jennifer Capriati.

What are your memories of winning the US Open junior title?

In many ways it is still my most memorable tennis experience. Even though I played the final on an outside court at Flushing Meadows, there were many people watching, more than had been to any of my matches before.

Three years ago you were chosen by adidas as the only player to wear the Stella McCartney range of tennis clothing. Was that a big honour?
It was wonderful because I love fashion. Stella’s designs changed everything in women’s tennis wear. Other manufacturers had to take note and styles started to be more elegant. I met Stella and she asked for my input on colours and styles.

Is it important to look good both on and off the court?
Very much so. I love wearing nice clothes and if you are well presented on the court then it makes you confident. I enjoy shopping for clothes in places like London and New York.

You have only won one singles game at Wimbledon in six years. Don’t you like playing on grass?
It’s a mystery. In the juniors I reached the semi-finals and thought grass was good for me but since I started playing professionally I can’t seem to win on it. Maybe it’s the preparation, not giving myself enough time after coming off the clay. I reached the semi-finals of the mixed doubles last year so maybe things are going to change.

You followed your compatriot Maria Sharapova by appearing in the famous Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition. How did you find that?
For a day or so I felt a little bit uncomfortable. I’ve done lots of clothes modelling before but not while just wearing a little bikini. It was a beautiful setting in the Dominican Republic and the photographer and his staff were so professional. I enjoy doing photo shoots and think I’m good at it. I’m very happy with the way the pictures turned out. I think they look very nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment